Slow Cooker Beef Stew is full of flavor and so easy to throw together. Filled with fall apart, tender beef pieces and melt in your mouth sweet potato, there’s nothing better than coming home to a warm cooked meal!
- 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg) beef chuck roast diced into 1 inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves crushed (or 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced into 2-inch pieces (roughly 3 cups diced)
- 10 ounces (300 g) baby potatoes halved
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 1 red bell pepper (capsicum) deseeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 14 ounces (410 g) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley to serve
Season beef with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Sear beef until browned (about 2 to 3 minutes per side) in batches, adding more oil when needed.
Transfer browned meat to into a 6qt (6 litre) slow cooker bowl.
Fry the onion with remaining oil in the same skillet until softened. Add in the garlic and sauce until fragrant (30 seconds). Transfer to the slow cooker bowl.
Add flour and mix to coat the meat and onions/garlic. Throw in the rest of the ingredients (except for the bay leaves and parsley) and give it a good mix. Place bay leaves on top.
Cover, and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours, or high heat setting for 4 to 6 hours.
Taste test before serving, and add extra salt or pepper if needed. Garnish with parsley,
Serve over white rice or mashed potatoes.