- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cornstarch, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 large orange, zest only
- 1/4 cup orange juice, from zested orange
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- vegetable Oil for frying
- In a bowl, whisk together the water, 1/3 cup of corn starch, the flour, the sesame seeds, and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, over medium heat, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, minced garlic, green onions, orange zest and juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a slight boil.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into 1 tablespoon of water until dissolved. Whisk into the sauce and reduce heat to a very lower simmer.
- Next, heat the vegetable oil in a deep pot to 375 degrees. (You can also use a deep fryer if you have one.)
- Coat each cauliflower floret in the flour mixture.
- Carefully place each floret into the hot oil. Fry each piece until golden brown – about 3 minutes. Remove from the oil and allow to drain on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Lastly, plate the cauliflower and spoon the thick, hot sauce over top. Garnish with some sesame seeds and thinly sliced green onions. Serve immediately.
If serving as a main, this dish will serve 4 people.